This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Sunday, July 6, 2014

Twin flash adapter for portraits

I added two large diffusers to my set-up. Now I can use it for portraits. It won't work under strong sunlight, so no chance to overpower the sun with it, but I can imagine that it can be useful for outside evening events or dim halls with not proper ceiling (either strange colored or to large rooms with far away ceiling):


 On the left (from the photographer's direction) side, there is a simple soft-box, while on the other side a kind of beuty dish. Below you can see some snapshot of my family:





There is a bit of light leakage through the bent fibers in the front and it causes even some colour shift, so I will cover them soon:
You can see the middle spot is yellowish compared to the other catchlight shapes.
Overall I'm happy with the results and in my opinion it could be a good solution for photographers working outside without walls and ceilings. Wedding or event photographers could use it and it surely would attract the attention of the people.
A similar product is available on the market, the Bounce-Wall, by California Sunbounce. It's a bounce panel on a bracket reflecting the camera flash, which imitates flashlight bounced from a wall or ceiling. A review of it you can find on strobist:
http://strobist.blogspot.de/2012/09/bounce-wall-geniusinsanity-line-goes.html

The obvious advantage of my solution is that I have two light sources with more flexibility to adjust and modify.

No comments:

Post a Comment