This blog is devoted to the application of optical fibers in photography. I have several homemade (DIY) flash adapters channeling the light from the flash close to the lens. The technique can be used mainly for macro photography, but I will show examples for wide angle close focus techniques as well. The recent version is called fiberstrobe V3, hence the name of the blog is "fiberstrobe".

Monday, January 25, 2016

Fiberstrobe vs Evil Dead



The films of Evil Dead trilogy were my favorite horror movies when I was a child. Despite the low budget they were really scary and were full with crazy cinematic shots, strange angles of views and fancy tricks. I was really happy when I heard that Ash was back with his chainsaw. I also liked a lot the poster created for this new Ash vs Evil Dead TV series:
You know that I’m a big fun of fisheye effects, so I decided to pay respect to the Evil Dead series and I took my own version of the poster. These are my pictures in portrait and landscape format:




The show the branches of the trees in an almost circular format the camera was placed almost on the ground on a joby tripod. My new camera is a sony A6000 that has a cool function. It can be remotely controlled by a smartphone, so it was possible to have a full control on the picture even when the LCR/EVF was almost touching the ground. The only problem was that the battery depleted in my smartphone during the photo shooting, so the rest was just try and error approach. I had two sets of charged batteries for my camera and the flash, but I haven’t checked my phone. It’s still not yet part of the checking list. There is no extra light on the original poster, but I decided to hold not just a camera (my old nex-5) but also a flashgun. Ash is holding a chainsaw and boomstick in (on) his hands. I used self-timer (10 seconds) and radio triggering for my flash (simple yongnuo flash).
After resizing and cropping I’ve just increased the contrast and altered a bit the colors to get the final image.

No comments:

Post a Comment